Friday, April 2, 2010

My Writing Journal's Dust Layer Shall Be No More

I was outside smoking a cigarette this afternoon watching the tiny blossoms fall from the Bradford pears flanking the parking lot of my office building. I love things like that. Nature at its most graceful. I wanted to write down the description, but I stopped bringing my writing journal with me everywhere.

I figured out why as I enjoyed the cool breeze on this gorgeous spring day, feeling the writer in me come back to life. I don't know if it was the season, the house I was living in (I moved last weekend - YAY!), or just my general state of mind; but none of these things was right. None of them made me content. As a matter of fact, I've been in a darkness for quite some time, and I'm just coming out of it.

I'm not going to go all emo on you and say I was in the depths of despair because I simply wasn't. My mind was dusty. It needed the spit and shine of a new house, a new season, and a new view of the world. These things are so important for a person's sanity. Things come in stages and every time one of these things changes, a new stage starts. When they change all at the same time, it could be a life-altering one. I think that's where I am.

I unpacked the journal last night, but it didn't occur to me that I need to start toting it again until today. So welcome back you wonderful little Classic size "Cafe Terrace at Night" covered wonder. I missed you. I think you missed me too.

Happy Spring kids.

6 comments:

  1. Hello:
    Well glad you feel ready to write. New season, fresh air -it'll do it to you every time. If you get stuck for inspiration, check out my Writers (Un)Block blogpost series. Keep writing.
    W.C.C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how a simple breeze can blow the dust off our creative souls to give us the strength to blow the dust off the journals that let us write down all those wonderful descriptive moments when we're on the go. Glad things are taking a turn for the better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the 'Cafe Terrace at Night' cover on your journal :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very new to this and came across your blog,inspired by your about me profile I had to read more. It was nice to see someone for the first time that writes. Would love to read more of what you have written. glad you feel refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nobody Special Just MeApril 13, 2010 at 4:52 PM

    Good luck to you! Have you gotten much done? I'm new here to bloggers and I'm also a new blogger, although I've been writing my entire life.

    I like your blog and I'll keep checking back to see how you are coming now that the dust is floating in the air rather than on the journal.

    ReplyDelete

What would you most like to see on my new website for unpublished writers?